In the upcoming summer months there is no doubt the weather will become hot and humid. July and August can be pretty brutal in Maryland and there will be plenty of warnings to check on your elderly family members and to keep your pets inside. But did you ever think to protect your plants during the severe heat? A high heat index can cause heat stress on your plants. Leaves tend to wilt, blossoms drop, and grass turns brown and dull. Newly planted shrubbery and trees are also negatively affected by the high heat, often times resulting in stunted growth.
Here are ways to help your plants and garden during the summer heat:
- Water plants often, making sure the water reaches deep into the soil
- Use mulch to balance temperature and prevent moisture loss
- If you grow vegetables, try producing shade for leafy greens
- Water your lawn twice during the day. Once in the morning, keeping it very short, and then longer later in the day
- Mist shrubs throughout the day
- Use a slow water flow when watering trees to help the water soak into the soil
- During a drought, provide about 2-4 inches of water for newly planted trees and shrubs
Evergreen Gene’s is your one stop shop in helping your plants and gardens this summer. Visit our Garden Center to purchase items like mulch and top soil to help your garden retain its moisture. You can also visit our Gift Shop to ask about our landscaping and lawn care services. Have a question about caring for your garden and plants during the heat? Ask one of our trained employees. We make sure our staff is knowledgeable about the products we stock and the services we offer, so none of your questions go unanswered.
To get started with Evergreen Gene’s, visit us at Glen Burnie location on Crain Highway. Can’t make it out but still have a question? Not to worry, call us to speak to a staff member at 410.766.6877 or click here today.
You can also follow Evergreen Gene’s on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Google+ today!