In Maryland, we have the extreme weather in all seasons, with snowy winters and hot, humid summers. With the big difference in temperature throughout the year, lawns are split between warm season grasses and cool season grasses, while some lawns have a blend of the two types. Let’s look at the difference between cool season and warm season grass, and the best types of grasses to grow in the Maryland area.
Cool Season Grass
- Kentucky Bluegrass: Bluegrass is the most popular cool season grass in the U.S., and is mainly found on lawns across the northern half of the country. With a fine leaf texture, the grass holds up well to drought and has a high heat tolerance, which is great during the warm summer months.
- Fescues: Tall fescues and fine fescues are found in the Maryland area, and are known for having a high drought tolerance and a good shade tolerance. This makes them perfect for Maryland homes with many large trees that provide a lot of shade.
- Perennial Ryegrass: Ryegrass loves direct sunlight, and is a fast-growing grass that creates a very strong turf. The grass is also suitable for areas with heavy traffic, as it has a high wear tolerance.
Warm Season Grass
- Bermuda Grass: Bermuda grass is one of the most popular warm season grasses in the U.S., as it’s planting range stretches farther north than other warm season grasses. While it’s a warm season grass, it has great cold tolerance, making it perfect for states with extreme weather in every season. New varieties of this grass are even more cold tolerant, and although they go dormant in the winter, they return when the weather starts to get warmer.
- Zoysia Grass: Similar to Bermuda grass, Zoysia grass is tolerant of cold weather and droughts with a fine to medium texture. Although it works best when in direct sunlight, this grass doesn’t have trouble with shade.
CALL IN THE PROFESSIONALS FOR YOUR LANDSCAPING NEEDS
Evergreen Gene’s offers professional landscaping and maintenance services through the state of Maryland. We are here to make sure your gardens and grounds look as beautiful as possible year-round. Interested in how we can help your garden look its best? Give us a call at (410) 766-6877 or visit us online. To see examples of our work and get more helpful gardening tips, follow us on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Houzz, and Twitter.